About Me - Counselling Twickenham
Welcome. I'm Greg.
I work at Counselling in Twickenham. If you're thinking of taking that first step into counselling, then you may want to know more about me as a counsellor.
Long before training as a therapist at Metanoia, I lived and travelled across the globe - working as a professional, lecturer, teacher and anthropologist (observing other cultures).
Currently, I work as a counsellor at Counselling Twickenham and Whitton. During those years I have gained a wealth of personal experience and like most people I have had to face a series of personal challenges. Learning how to deal with my problems was rewarding and painful. Above all, I believe that my own struggles have given me a deeper understanding of how other people cope in a crisis.
If I learned anything, then it is how vulnerable we are. And yet, we are strong and resilient. The more I meet people, the more I realise how that strength allows us to survive in the most difficult circumstances.
Along the way, I've been deeply affected by my encounters with others. And I feel privileged to work with people through their triumphs and despair. Likewise, I am fascinated by what makes us human and I believe that each of us has an extraordinary tale to tell.
This means, as a counsellor I have a broader perspective on life. I believe that is why clients find me approachable and easy to talk to. As a result, I offer you a safe space where you can talk through your issues and be listened to.
Most of all, I see my work as a calling and I am committed to working in an atmosphere of trust and confidentiality.
Firstly, before becoming a counsellor, I worked in inner cities schools, universities and communities around the world. My experience in life have enriched me and opened my eyes. Furthermore, I have lived and worked in Europe, Brazil, Africa, India and Papua New Guinea. For a while, I worked with botanists in Kew Gardens. Later, I trained counsellors at Saint Mary's University and worked in the NHS and MIND. Most notably, I was the first male counsellor at Portsmouth Rape Crisis Service.
I have fourteen years experience, working with people from different backgrounds, ages, genders, ethnicities and religions. It took me five years to train as a counsellor before I qualified with a Master's Degree. After qualifying, I began working at Twickenham Counselling, EnduringMind, while counselling in Hounslow, Isleworth and Teddington.
Above all, I believe can help you move forward with freedom and independence. This is why I offer counselling:
- which values the unique experiences of each human being
- respects the freedom of individuals to choose and make their own decisions
- helps people by working together in a partnership
I run my private counselling sessions at EnduringMind, Whitton, Twickenham. Finally, I'm a member of the United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapist and follow its code of ethics. Furthermore, I offer counselling in Twickenham, Whitton, Hampton, Isleworth, Hounslow and Teddington areas.
My Counselling Experience
Metanoia Counselling & Psychotherapy Service
Firstly, I was counselling people struggling with:
- depression and anxiety.
- problems from childhood.
- borderline personality disorder.
- parents and families with children in care.
- couples coping with a relationship breakdown.
- people with low self-esteem.
- childhood abuse, as well as domestic violence.
Winchester University Counselling Service
Secondly, I was helping people struggling with:
- depression and anxiety.
- anger management and violent abuse.
- spiritual and religious beliefs.
- drug addiction and dependency.
- disability and body image.
- eating disorders and self-harming.
Portsmouth Area Rape Crisis Service
Thirdly, I was the first male counsellor working with:
- survivors of rape and childhood sexual abuse.
- people with learning difficulties.
- trauma and PTSD.
Fourthly, I worked with people who suffered from:
- serious mental problems
- schizophrenia & learning difficulties.
- violent physical abuse in childhood.
Private Practice - Counselling Twickenham & Whitton
- individuals & couples counselling.
- depression, anxiety & anger.
- trauma and panic attacks.
- people with relationship issues.
- survivors of rape and sexual assault, or violence.
Saint Mary’s University College
Training and supervising:
- training students on a Foundation Degree in counselling & Psychology.
- supervising counselling students.
West Thames College
- a leader and lecturer in counselling.
- training counsellors on the Advanced Diploma in Counselling.
Psychiatric Placement (NHS)
I was counselling patients with a range of issues:
- Community Mental health Teams and Home Treatment.
- home visits to patients in the local community.
- in-patients suffering from a psychotic episode.
- war veterans.
EPA Counselling Referral Service
- I have with Occupational Health
- My work with stress-related trauma and injuries at work